- Try to get your comments on Scholars Convocation on the Wiki TODAY!
- Women's tennis is playing today (Wednesday) at 4:00, if it doesn't rain. Go and cheer your colleagues on.
- 1/4 of our Tutorial is sick today. Lots of your classmates are sick. Please take care of yourselves! Some hints: Get enough sleep (even if it means skipping video games), Eat well, Exercise, Wash your hands regularly.
- We have now exhausted the "Thing 2" joke.
- Tomorrow (Friday) is the end of Add/Drop period. Everyone I met with today seemed fine with his/her schedule, but in case I didn't meet with you, please reflect on whether your workload seems appropriate and let me know if does not.
- Football is at home this weekend. Go and cheer your colleagues on.
- Don't forget to pay attention to the news.
We considered a variety of lessons from Williams's Style
- Note: You should not feel like you need to keep this in mind when you're writing; these are primarily tools to help you edit your writing
- You will find it helpful to make a chart of his recommendations for when you want to edit your writing
We considered a variety of issues pertaining to discussion
- Sam's jokes can make discussion more fun, but don't necessarily lead to a better discussion
- A good discussion helps us learn more about a topic by requiring us to articulate our thoughts carefully and by giving us the opportunity to compare perspectives.
- Making a discussion successful is a joint responsibility of the leader of the discussion and the participants in the discussion.
- Each participant should make sure to do any preparatory reading/thinking and to make an effort to participate.
- The leader should choose a topic likely to generate interest, should strive to keep the discussion "on task" (but not necessarily directed toward a particular resolution), and should occasionally pause the discussion to summarize.
- Participants should make an effort to follow up on previous comments. They might agree or disagree, provided they explain why they agree or disagree. They might ask for clarification or attempt to clarify. They might try to ground a previous comment in a particular example or domain. They might relate the most recent comment to the broad theme of the discussion or to a previous comment.
- Leaders can make similar efforts.
- Fire Alarms at 2:30 a.m. seem counterproductive to successful discussion.