- Chemistry Convo Today. Be there.
- Note that you're responsible for keeping me awake during convo.
(Alternately, you can make fun of me when I don't stay awake.)
- Today at 5:30: Homecoming Parade. If you've never encountered a small-town
homecoming parade, you should try seeing it.
- Saturday morning: Calle Sur plays at Cafe Phoenix. I strongly encourage you to go see them. They're a lot of fun.
- Anyone who did not record a discussion today will be responsible for recording one of the three discussions on Tuesday. Be prepared.
- I was disappointed that folks did not make it on time. Please try harder next time. (It's to your benefit to show up on time, since it ensures that we get out on time.)
- I distributed the majority of readings. You'll get a few more when you
meet with me (or in convo). You'll also get a few via email.
- In today's Tutee meetings, we'll discuss (a) your use of sources in the
introduction and (b) your primary claims.
- I'm sending out comments about the discussions to the whole class so that folks have the opportunity to learn from the successes and occasional mistakes of their colleagues.
- I have tried to make comments somewhat anonymous since this page gets posted to the Web.
- Many aspects of today's discussions went well, and I congratulate you.
- You stayed on task (or mostly stayed on task).
- You covered some interesting issues.
- I think many of you learned something new.
- Many comments followed in reasonable sequence from the previous comments.
(Not all, but many.)
- I would have liked more of the comments to focus on the details of the
readings ... not so much
What did you think? or
What did you
What did the author say?
- I would have liked to have heard more combinations of ideas, not just
Let's discuss this, now let's discuss this, now let's discuss
this, but also
How do this and that relate?.
- I would have liked to have seen more challenges to ideas. In most cases,
you were all on the same side. Some devil's advocates, as it were, would
have been useful.
- Almost everyone participated. However, I would have liked to have seen
the leaders more explicitly encourage the quiet members of class. (For
once, no one needed to be reigned in.)
- The discussion leader gave no introduction to the discussion. Such an
introduction would have been helpful, particularly since there are many
models of YouTube. (YouTube is used for posting commercial videos, and
that was your primary focus. However, if you say YouTube to many people,
they first envision posting personal videos.)
- The discussion leader had one two-minute question that went on and on and
on. Such questions should be avoided. (That question also had many
- As I noted at the end of class, the discussion leader did a very nice job
What is fair use? when someone claimed that a use was
fair use. (Note that the use was not fair use.)
- At one point, the discussion started veering toward the sampling topic.
The discussion leader did a nice job of saying
Let's leave that for the
- There were good opportunities to tie together the reading and the video.
For example, most
Safe Harbor provisions work under the assumption that
the service provider is not doing any editorial work. Can what YouTube is
doing be considered editorial work?
- I appreciate that the discussion leader pointed us to particular readings
and to particular parts on the readings. The leader seemed to have
- This discussion provided particularly good opportunities to tie things
together a bit more.
- One of the readings is two years old, and is about a court case. Clearly,
followup information should be available by now, and it should have come
into the discussion.
- Similarly, even though the streaming article is only nine-months old, I
believe Apple(R) has purchased a streaming service (Lala).
- As many people (including the discussion leader) noted, there's a big
difference between a long-standing group like Iron Maiden and a
new group. I would have liked to have seen the discussions of how
authorized downloading can benefit new groups grounded more clearly
in a reading on those issues.
- The discussion of streaming everything brought to mind a recent
story from NPR on the difficulties of archiving music in the current
- Since we had been asked to view three videos, it would have been nice
if the leader had given us a quick overview of the videos.
- It seemed that we got into some deeper issues here, which was nice.
- Because this discussion had a deeper associated reading, it would have
been nice to have seen the discussion grounded more explicitly in the
- At at least one point, someone turned to the discussion leader with
a sophisticated question about the issue at hand, with an assumption
that the leader had already become an expert on the subject. The leader
was able to answer the question, which suggested good expertise.